Ongoing urbanization is creating political, social, economic and ecological challenges for our cities, which is also where we have to find solutions. No city, no future.
If all challenges manifest themselves spatially, it follows that better and smarter planning and design of the space is an indispensable provision for sustainable development.
The city is where the opportunities lie for structural solutions. It can lead the way to a better future, but it will be better governed, better designed, and better planned than it is today.
The lecture is oriented on the Smart cities stream of the Summer school and focuses on the practice of designing and planning the physical space of the city.
- Governance of the city – Relationship between politics and design
- Comfort, security, sustainability – Opportunities and threats of a new universal trinity of „common sense“ values
- Space of flows and places – Synergies instead of conflicts between mobility and urban development
- Building Construction – Obstacles for sustainable buildings and how they could be avoided
- Compact City – Potential and challenges for an integral approach on city making
Mr. Urs Thomann,
Deputy Director, Vinnytsia Municipal Centre of Urban planning and Architecture