Application of numerical analysis for resolving building energy saving problems
Duration: 2 h
There are many methods and technologies for the reduction of energy consumption in building sector. However, it is important to understand and analyze thermal physical processes that occur in premises. It can be done by numerical or natural experiments. But in many cases natural experiments are difficult or even impossible. Therefore, application of numerical analysis for resolving building energy saving problems is preferable. The main aim of this course is to provide an opportunity for students to obtain skills in the direction of using common methods for the calculation of thermal and hydraulic processes for some types of building renewable sources and premises. Also, adaptive control strategies for building heating and cooling systems based on rational energy consumption will be considered.
- Modeling of heat and mass transfer processes that take place in premises.
- Brief description of the heat and mass transfer processes that occur in buildings.
- Concept of turbulence.
- Application of Computational Fluid Dynamics software for resolving building energy saving problems.
- Manual and CFD-calculation of the thermal efficiency of building renewable sources such as solar collectors.
- Adaptive control strategies for building heating and cooling systems.
- Demand response control strategies.
- Energy efficient control strategies.
Pre-requisites: Knowledge of basic physics and mathematics
Mr. Andrii Zakovorotnyi
Place of employment: Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, NAS of Ukraine